SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
- Publishing leader with proven track record in technology strategy and implementation of content management, e-commerce, title information management, digital asset management, and digital rights management.
- Recognized industry analyst and consultant in educational, trade, and scholarly publishing.
- Co-author of two books and a deep portfolio of articles and columns in trade magazines and newsletters.
- Experienced writing instructor with more than 25 years of classroom experience spanning two- and four-year colleges, core writing classes, creative writing and literature, business and technical writing, and specialized courses in publishing.
Currently Consulting with Publishers, Research Firms, and Vendors
After a great 5.5 years at MIT Press, I am doing some consulting again while I look for my next position. I will be working with publishers on both technical and strategy projects, doing some research and writing. and working with vendors on market and implementation strategies.
For my next full-time role I am looking for a position that combines my business acumen, technical background, and proven ability to build great teams. I welcome the chance to talk and network with a wide range of people.
The MIT Press, Cambridge, MA 2012-2017
Director of Technology
Lead digital publishing and technology development at a leading university press publisher. Oversee all eBook, website, and other digital products development. Manage a group of ten professionals. As part of the senior management team, develop technology strategy for the Press and represent the Press in various professional contexts.
Manage all aspects of technology at the press including software and database development, web development, enterprise systems, electronic publishing, and infrastructure.
During this time:
- Launched a new content management, workflow, and repository solution for 50 users in the Books Division. Based on Alfresco, the system handles finished goods, work in progress, and also interfaces with an external product information and scheduling system.
- Deployed four new major websites based on the Drupal platform, including two generations of the Press’s main website and two platforms that house books and journals for library subscriptions.
- Launched major upgrades to our title information management system and, in cooperation with our warehouse partners, to our warehouse management system.
- Launched new eCommerce platforms that include real-time integration with our journals subscription management platform and warehouse management system.
- Launched a new comprehensive business system for our journals division that serves key stakeholders in marketing, production, customer support, and subsidiary rights
- Transformed the group from a Microsoft-centered team using traditional software development methods into a LAMP-centered team using micro-services, agile methodology, and contemporary DevOps.
Bunker Hill Community College, Boston, MA 1988-2015
Adjunct Professor, Writing
Taught sections of College Writing 1, College Writing 2, Business Writing, and other core offerings. Track record of excellent outcomes for students. Worked with students in transitioning to honors courses and successfully applying to four-year schools. Professional development included working with diverse student populations, handling problematic students, and assessment and norming. Active in the College’s “One Book” program, helping to select the most recent One Book and working with student volunteers on a service project.
Other teaching experience includes numerous sections of writing classes at Middlesex Community College, Emerson College, Northeastern University, and University of Phoenix. Taught a number of specialized publishing classes at Emerson College on book and magazine publishing. Ran a year-long, grant-funded institute at Massachusetts Bay Community College on Desktop Publishing focused on retraining professionals, vocational school instructors, and college faculty.
Outsell’s Gilbane Group, Cambridge, MA 1999-2012
VP and Lead Analyst, Content Management Practice
Provided strategic technology and market guidance to leading book, magazine, periodical, and specialty publishers. Supported publishers at key inflection points in their transition to digital publishing with in-depth support and guidance on acquiring, implementing, and integrating critical publishing technologies and platforms. Helped executives and key decision makers understand technological change and how it would impact their top-line and bottom-line planning. Conducted research in key technological areas to support decision making.
ZDNET, Cambridge, MA 1997-1999
Director, Publishing Systems
Led the selection and implementation of an enterprise-wide, XML-based content management and production system for all of Ziff-Davis’s electronic products, including ZDNet and affiliated publications such as PCWeek Online and PCMagazine Online.
Houghton Mifflin Company, Boston, MA 1993-1997
Manager, Content Development
Led twelve-person creative and technical team in the development of high-quality SGML- and XML-based electronic reference products for the commercial and professional market, including the Internet, major on-line services, CD-ROM, and embedded platforms.
Xyvision, Inc., Wakefield, MA 1989-1993
Manager, Editorial Systems
Managed the implementation of large-scale editorial systems at commercial publishing, legal publishing, and in-plant publishing organizations. Major customers included Grolier, Macmillan, Thomson, and Harcourt Brace Jovanovich.
University of Massachusetts at Dartmouth: BA in English and Writing, Minor in Philosophy.
Emerson College, MA in Professional Writing and Publishing
Boston University, coursework toward an Ed.D. with a focus on educational technology and curriculum development
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Digital Rights Management: Business and Technology, Hungry Minds Publishing, November 2001 (co-author).
- SVG for Designers: Using Scalable Vector Graphics in Next-Generation Web Sites, Osborne/McGraw-Hill, August 2002 (co-author).
- Various feature-length articles written as Senior Editor at The Gilbane Report, a leading newsletter on publishing technology, 1999-2010.
- Various feature-length articles written as Contributing Editor at The Seybold Report, another leading newsletter on publishing technology, 2004-2010.
- Columnist and regular contributor to Transform Magazine, a trade magazine for professionals in content management and related areas, 2001-2005.
- Regular contributor to eContent Magazine, a trade magazine for publishing professionals, 2002-2008.
- Regular speaker, moderator and track chair at numerous trade shows for publishing and content management, 1995-present.